A full, graphic exploration of Morrissey’s musical influences, from girl groups to glam rockers, pop idols to obscurities. This music print looks at the diverse artists and genres involved and joins them up in a comprehensive, endlessly fascinating infographic.
This unique infographic print features:
- songs by other artists that Morrissey and The Smiths have covered;
- every song mentioned in Morrissey’s autobiography;
- the songs Morrissey features pre-show, post-show and for his stage entrance;
- lists of Morrissey’s favourite songs from Desert Island Discs, Under The Influence, Singles To Be Cremated With and others;
- Morrissey’s favourite LPs, such as Raw Power by Iggy & The Stooges, Horses by Patti Smith and Born To Quit by The Smoking Popes.
Morrissey is a man of idiosyncratic tastes, expressed through the cultural figureheads displayed on The Smiths’ iconic record sleeves, provocative lyrical topics and the many different musical influences reflected in his solo music and that of The Smiths.
There are over 80 artists features in the main body of the print, with around a further 350 featured in the sidebar text.
Genres include rock n’ roll, punk, glam, new wave, folk, country and classical.
Artists include New York Dolls, The Velvet Underground, The Kinks, The Cramps, Billy Fury, Sacha Distel and Shirley Bassey.
Some names you’ll be familiar with, others less so; and some may come as a total revelation.
The print explores Morrissey's musical influences until 2017, when I created the print.
This is pop culture as a voyage of discovery, a real labour of love designed in Manchester.